Thursday, April 15, 2010

Basically, I rule

I’ve splashed out on a fake Lacoste T-shirt, available from most shops and market stalls in Hoi An for about £2, with haggling. I’ll probably dump the plain white T-shirt I brought from England; the dirt’s so ground in, I don’t think I’ll ever get it clean.

I’ve also come to the historic city of Hue (‘Hwey’), which the Vietnamese emperor made his capital in 1802. The walled citadel containing his Imperial City must have been a stunner in its day but was largely destroyed in the Vietnam War and the 1940s conflict with France. Of its original 148 towers, only 20 remain.

When I turned up there this morning, so had a party of students. Their tutor told us they were doing a four-year course in tourism.

Once their group shot was done, four or five of the young ladies made a beeline for me and insisted I have my photo taken with each one. Why? Because I was “handsome handsome”.

What an ego-booster! Yes, I know they're young enough to be my daughters. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the compliment, or spend the whole day struggling to wipe the grin off my face.

Oh, and the Imperial City was good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment